Fairytale Karma

Abbey - Maryland Heights, Missouri
Themes: hope

Just like most kids, my parents would read me a lot of fairytales when I was young. Beauty and the Beast, Snow White, Aladdin, and The Three Little Pigs all made the perfect bedtime stories for a little girl like myself. But as I grew up, I never lost my love for fairytales. I would continue to watch the Disney movie versions of all these classic stories because there was just something about them that drew me in. It wasn’t until this year that I realized why I felt so connected to the fairytale. When a friend asked me why I was still loved Cinderella at 15 years old, I answered “Because there’s something comforting about knowing that no matter what, the good and bad will both get what they deserve. That’s what I believe in – Fairy tale karma.

Unfortunately in the world today, fairytale karma does not always play such an obvious role as it does in the stories. Sometimes good people don’t seem to be rewarded for what they do. Nelson Mandela, for example, was not recognized or compensated for the good he tried to do, but was thrown into prison for many years. On the other hand O.J. Simpson was cleared of a murder most people agree he committed. Yet, I believe that fairytale karma finds a way to make an impact. Today, Nobel Prize winner Nelson Mandela is living peacefully after being president of South Africa and as for O.J., he’s heading to jail on a robbery charge. I truly believe that no matter who you are, what you do, or where you live- whether that be the make believe land of stories or the real world, that fairytale karma will eventually catch up to you.

I guess that the reason my belief in fairytale karma is so strong is that I really need to believe it. I need to have faith in the ultimate justice of my world, and while I’m not sure what higher power fairytale karma comes from, it’s enough for me to just believe that it’s there. Although I know that in the real world, morality is often much more complex than in the land of fairytales, I feel comfort in my belief because it brings me a sense of security about what might happen in this crazy world. I can now go through life always hopeful that good really will win out in the end and that those who deserve it really will reach their happily ever after.