The Right To Bear Arms.

Jesse - Ballwin, Missouri

I believe in the right to bear arms (I know it’s a weird thing to write

about and I promise you I’m not a crazy right wing militant, on the contrary my

beliefs are mostly liberal). I believe that guns are dangerous, and in the wrong

hands, things can go very wrong, but I also believe if you take guns away, people

will just kill each other with knifes, rocks, clubs, or anything they can get their

hands on. Guns don’t kill people; the intent of the person pulling the trigger kills

people. And if you outlaw guns, all that does is make victims easier to prey on.

Criminals don’t care about a law, that’s why they’re criminals. They will obtain

guns illegally leaving the law abiding citizens easy targets. The fact that it is

legal to carry a concealed gun makes many bad people think twice before doing

anything. Without that threat there would be more crime. I also like the

idea of civilians having the right to guns also gives civilians power against the

government. A government would think twice before trying something unreasonable when their citizens in some cases are just as well armed as their soldiers.

I do not think guns are without flaws, however. It is true there are a lot of gun accidents, often fatal, but I think that is due to ignorance and improper handling, and that is a serious problem we need to fix. People don’t lock their guns and leave them in questionable places. Many people also don’t have the right training or familiarization with their gun(s). I also think that many people don’t understand how serious a gun is. When you have a gun, you have the power to end someone’s life. That should never be taken lightly, and should only be used to defend your life and the lives of your loved ones when threatened with death. When people buy a gun, by law, they should go to a course where someone trains them how to safely maintain, operate, and store their gun, and if and when they should use it.

Guns do have cons to them, I would be one of the first people to say that, but there are few things in life that don’t, and the fact that’s their dangerous won’t stop the guy that’s planning on doing you harm. I think with a bit more education we can make guns much safer, and therefore making our lives safer. That is why I believe in the right to bear arms.