My Life Takes A Turn

Sarah - Port Jefferson, New York

I believe in windows, not the clear glass pane you look out of for a nice view, but the ones that will lead you down a path of decisions. No matter how big or small, life is always going to be filled with windows. Even though windows can be closed, they are able to be seen through. The path that you decided not to take is still visible.

To me there are certain windows that play a role in my life. I believe in windows of opportunity, time; of windows to a new beginning. Some windows can be more important than others, but it is always difficult to make a choice.

My love was for dance. I ate, breathed and dreamed. Six days a week of black leotards and pink tights. Going to class was routine. Ballet, tap, jazz, competition practice. My life revolved around this one activity. As I went from grade school to secondary, my love for this one sport waned, and my heart grew for another. During my seventh grade year, I would see my friends get excited for their first game, win their first match against their opponent, and it made me reconsider my world of dance. Was I going to do this for the rest of my life? Of course not. It was something that I considered fun, not a full time job. I gave myself options. I could either continue my dancing career, or start a new one filled with umpires and school colors, instead of ballet shoes and sequins. The two were polar opposites and only one was a new beginning. Thinking about leaving dance and knowing it would become a thing of the past was difficult for me to accept. I had been involved in it for over ten years and it was very important to me. With the start of my final year in Junior High School, I felt that I needed to do something that would expand my interests and help me become more involved in school. I knew if I didn’t take this opportunity, this new path laid out in front of me, I would regret it. I had to choose my window. When thinking more about the decision had soon to be made, I knew that I was leaning towards my new beginning. I wanted a change, something I am usually not a fan of. I knew I would make the right choice.

Five years later, I know that it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I believe that even though my window for dance had been closed, my window toward a new opportunity had just been opened and was ready to be explored. I went from receiving titles in dance competitions to winning state Field Hockey championships. I believe when given a chance to do something new, whatever it may be, you go for it. You take it, embrace it, and never regret it.