Anything is Possible

Courtney - Norwood/MA/02062, Massachusetts

It wasn’t until last year that I believed anything was possible. As captain of the Norwood High School Girls’ Soccer team we had made it to the post season tournament for the first time in the programs history. The positive outlook I tried to instill in the team, and the extra burst of energy I carried daily really got us a long way.

Heading into the post season my teams overall record consisted of fourteen wins, three ties, and two losses. The moment we had been waiting for finally arrived; it was our first tournament game verse North Attleboro. Filing off the bus and onto the turf field in two lines with our matching warm-ups on was defiantly an intimidation factor we used to our advantage. Our warp up time went just as planned; our first touch was on point and our muscles were ready for the eighty minute game. The referee blew his whistle beginning the game. The game was a fight until the end. However at the end of regulation time the score was tied one to one. That meant we were going into sudden death over time. Over time consisted of two ten minute periods and the first team to score would win the game!

Within the first three minutes of the first over time my younger sister Cory, who was a freshman I had played with for the season, got the team a corner kick. I lined up on the eighteen yard line ready to crash the net in attempt to put the ball in the goal. After taking a few steps toward the still ball, Cory wound up her right leg and let loose. The ball sailed in the air to the center of the goal. I charged from my position leaping into the air. My head made contact with the beautifully place ball, and there it floated above the goalies head and into the back of the net! As I grabbed my sister hugging her tighter than ever, a feeling of accomplishment came over me for the first time in a while.

It was my senior year that my greatest wishes came true. Over these four long months these girls became my family. I have made lifelong friends and memories I will never forget. Because of this, I feel that I can do anything. I had a winner’s mentality at the beginning of the season and that made all the difference in me. I plan to continue to use this idea of hard work in my near and distant future. I will never let anyone tell me that something is impossible. Impossible is nothing, and if spoken of it is simply an excuse.