Corey - Manlius, New York
Themes: sports

I believe that sports can help you grow in many ways as a person and as a member of society. I believe that team sports as well as individual sports can help you grow in these ways and in many more ways.

I believe that Team Sports can build Character, commitment, responsibility, academic integrity, ethics, and respect. I think that overall team sports can teach the most as a character wise but in individual sports you are pushing the mental aspects of your body. For example when you are snowboarding you have to push yourself to do new tricks and hit bigger jumps. This teaches you a good life lesson because it teaches you how to push at and break down mental barriers. It can also help you find a way to conquer your fears. For team sports you learn many things. You learn respect because you have to respect your coaches your captains and your teammates. You learn responsibility and ethics because you have to follow the rules of the team. Finally you learn academic integrity because if you cheat you get kicked off the team.

During my freshman year I played for the lacrosse team. During that time I learned a lot about commitment first of all. I learned that if you wanted to play you needed to work hard all the time and always be at practice. I saw that if you did not arrive to practice without a legitimate excuse you would be punished. I also saw that if you made it a habit to miss practice than the coaches would have no hesitation to kick you off the team.

Another thing I learned during freshman season was responsibility. I saw through my time there that if you did something wrong; you and all of your teammates were responsible for it. If one or two people were screwing around at practice and not trying than it was all of our faults. During the course of the season many of us made mistakes and for these mistakes we were forced to run suicides until we had learned our lessons.

This is why I believe that both team sports and individual sports can help you grow physically and mentally as a person and as a member of society. I also feel that if more people got into sports the world would be a lot better of a place to live. I believe this for many more reasons but I feel that those few reasons were the best way to describe this topic.