Calvin - MAryland Heights, Missouri

I believe in purpose. I believe in the absurdity of mankind. Humans are so complex that it creates an odd feeling—a feeling that cannot be described with words.

It’s funny and pathetic at the same time. I remember when I was in third grade and I asked my science teacher, “How do we work?”. After just getting done with the human body unit, I thought it was a legitimate enquiry, but my teacher just stared at me and responded, “What a bizarre question, Calvin,” thinking as if I had not been in the classroom for the past three months. I knew very well how the body worked; I just didn’t know why it worked. I didn’t know why our muscles moved, I just knew that they did. That was a response I often got as a kid—“they just do” – implying that the entire universe was governed by this mysterious force called “Magic”. In reality I was just thinking ten years ahead of what I should have been. I’m always thinking ten years ahead – what’s wrong with that?

Questioning the world was something that often got me in trouble. Not to pass the blame, but I think my family had a lot to do with it. Being a science oriented family speculating was our job. My mom would often tell me, “I often wonder if another life form looks down upon us and wonders why we are so weird”. I find it odd how, not only that we are composed of only a few different elements, but that we have created a complex culture that seems absurd on the outside. It’s incredible that we can think, feel, see, taste, breathe, smell, converse, hate, love, play, fight, and be no different than a pile of some hydrogen, carbon, and oxygen atoms. Absurd, is it not?

I believe we have a purpose, a purpose yet to be discovered. This is something other than religion. The thing is, we are different from just a lump of atoms. There is something more to life than just being. We must ask why and not how. We must question everything. We must believe in the absurdity.