Like the Wind

Sana - St.Louis, Missouri
Themes: change

I wasn’t always like the wind. This past month has been nothing but a cluster of startling events. I didn’t realize before how much influence such a short period of time may have on me. It’s so odd how things that may seem like they’re not that big of a deal when watching them happen to someone else turn out to be a full 360 degrees. I used to hear all sorts of stuff, such as a family member dies tragically, or a separation between friends occurs, or even someone moving out of the state or country. But all of this really didn’t interest me. I mean I was somewhat worried and felt sorry for the people who were going through the rough situation, but eventually, I was myself again. I, once again, returned to my egocentric routine existence that many people may call life.

A month ago, I adored this routine life of mine that revolved around the planet named I. It was so convenient. I knew exactly what I was going to do tomorrow, the day after that and so on. Almost my whole future was planned out. There was not room for change in my so called “life”. But, things started to change drastically. I mean, I was at a football game one moment and the next I was at home crying because my grandpa was dying. Listening to my dad mention this news was not the worse, absorbing the change was. This was not the way I pictured things to be. They were supposed to be perfect, which was far away from change. But now I needed to get a reality check. Life itself is far away from being perfect. Change is just prone to happen.

Well, my mom left to go stay in India with my grandpa while he was still there. First drastic change. Then my grandpa, who I have known and loved sometimes almost more than my parents, passed away. Second drastic change. And now, realizing that change could actually affect me the way that it has the past month, I feel disarranged. Third drastic change. But, my changed life has to go on. It won’t stop or wait for me to inhale and exhale the shocking information. It’s not even going to slow down. From this past month, I started to believe in something new. I started to believe in change. I believe that change is sort of like the wind. I can’t see it coming or going but I can feel that it was there. The wind, also like change, doesn’t stop even for a second. If it did, than life itself would be frozen and locked in that one position forever. There fore I must accept the change and trust myself in moving on like the wind.