The Little Things

Jodie - St. Louis, Missouri

I am sitting at my desk trying to rack my brain for something I truly believe in. But rather than finding a memory of a grand epiphany, I find nothing. All I can do is look at the blinking cursor on the intimidating white computer screen. I must believe in something, but I wonder how I possibly could have developed a life philosophy in my short sixteen years. I cannot think of a single experience that gave me a new perspective on life or changed my view on certain issues or topics. Surely, at least one important moment in my life has had an impact on me. As ironic as it is, my apparent lack of beliefs and experiences has led me to realize something I have probably believed in all along; I believe in the little things. While I struggle to come up with a single life altering moment, I can easily recall many smaller ones that sum up my life. I believe that the smaller, seemingly trivial moments in life are the ones that matter the most. The importance of these moments is often overlooked because they happen frequently. However, it is these moments that make up my life. For me, these moments range from hearing a favorite song on the radio to sitting down to play guitar for a few minutes. One that I distinctly remember was on my first day of high school. After attending a private Jewish school for all of my elementary and middle school years, it was an entirely new experience walking in the doors of a public school that had more people in each of my classes than were in my entire graduating class in eighth grade. I knew so few people at my new school that I could have counted them on my fingers. As I wandered around, trying to find my classes in a school where a single hallway is longer than the entire middle school wing of my old school, I was surrounded by a sea of strangers. Then, a familiar face smiled at me in the midst of an endless supply of unfamiliar faces. Although the smile lasted for only a moment, it was a moment of comfort. When I experience a moment like this, all that is troubling me fades away. For that moment, there is nothing to worry about. There are no projects to work on, no tests to study for, no one asking what I plan to do in college, and nobody asking me to formulate a belief. These little things are what help people get through life. When all is said and done, I believe that these moments, which seem irrelevant as they happen, are in fact the most important of all. These short moments of satisfaction can help make up a life full of happiness.