The Burger and Fries of Life

Kelly - Saint Louis, Missouri

I made an observation yesterday. I was sitting with one of my friends in the school cafeteria. I took a glance at the food on her plate. She had a hamburger and some french fries. Nothing really stuck out to me until I noticed that she was only eating the french fries and completely ignoring the burger. This seemed strange to me. I mean after all, the lunch menu that day read “Hamburgers with a side of fries,” not the other way around.

When I asked her about it, she just said that she wanted the fries and that she would get to the burger later if she was still hungry. I guess I didn’t look convinced because she went on to tell me that to her, the fries just tasted better. I thought about what she said for the rest of lunch. She had a giant burger on her plate, and yet, she just wanted the fries.

So that’s what I believe. I believe in the power of the little things in life. Sometimes it is the little moments that make our life worth while, the moments that make us crack a small smile. Many people would say that it was a major event or a life changing moment that made them who they are today. However, I seem to see it the other way around. Sure the major events are life changing, but they don’t make your life. Most people only have a life changing event maybe once or twice in their lifetime. So the moments that truly define us have to come from something smaller: the little things in life. Whether it simply be a small conversation with the stranger on the bus or the sprinkles on top of an ice cream cone, these experiences make us who we are. These are the moments that make up our lives. Sure the big events are important and may influence the way we think or the way we see things, but they are so far and few between that there significance begins to fade over time.

But when we come to appreciate the small things that are in our life everyday, we are constantly reminded of how awesome life can really be.

I think what my friend taught me during that 20 minute lunch period was an important lesson about life. Sure the burger is good, but sometimes, the fries just taste a little better.