It Was Friday

John (Jack) - Baltimore, Maryland

It was Friday, and I wanted to pick-up some flowers. The big question was, what should I get. You see I love giving flowers and I even love just looking at them. I walked around gazing and thinking even daydreaming about my decision.

Everyone thinks of roses when you say flowers and I’ve never had a woman turn down roses. A Friend smiled and said, I look good with roses as she held up a dozen red ones next to her face. Flowers are kinda like people, not only are their looks unique, but each has its own personality, and some have even made a reputation for themselves.

Wow I guess I was daydreaming and you got to experience it too. So roses are sure fire gift and cut flowers make it feel like spring no matter what time of year it is. The element of surprise or something exotic is always a possibility.

As I came out of this dream something caught my eye. It was petite, but it has broad shoulders and strong legs. I guess this was to support the large bud which looked almost like a bulb that one would plant in the round. Now the back of the bud did look like a bulb, but the front of it had opened quite a bit, and this is what caught my eye. As I approached the beautiful plant I became more intrigued as it revealed its color and its markings, like God had put it on a canvas. Its pedals seemed to have opened with a rose flavor and then slowly moved to a pink and on to the most beautiful almond color you could imagine. It was as if almond was the color of the canvas and it then became the border, and you could even see the almond veins running through its pink and rose colors. As I stepped back I could see the strong legs, that supported the bud were the same beautiful almond color that ran through the petals. I needed to look no farther. I knew I would take this plant with me. I usually bought cut flowers that needed to be wrapped, but this time I got a potted plant, maybe as a keepsake. As I paid and said goodbye the person said, “So you got an orchid this time”. He then said, ” Do some studying so you can take care of it.

Do some studying? This turned on a light for me and with the help of Google I had a starting point. As I opened the many different sites I found, that there were as many different species of orchids as there seemed to be stars in the heavens. All were wonderful just to look at. Like all other flowers the orchid seemed a lot like a person. When it was hot and sweaty I could spray it with a light mist of water and wipe it off. I could dress it up by putting roses around it like a woman might put on a nice suit or a piece of jewelry. If it were ever sad I would remind it of its natural beauty and tell it, that it would always be my centerpiece.