There’s No Place Like Home

Melanie - Port Jefferson, New York

At the end of a long hard day, there is only one place in the entire world that I want to be. It is a place where I know I am not likely to be judged. That place is home. It’s not like I am a social recluse or anything. I enjoy people. However, it is the best feeling in the world to be somewhere where you feel entirely secure. A place that is filled with years of memories, love, laughter and people who really get me. Especially in the winter months, there is no better feeling than being inside on a cold day, eating soup and reading a good book. In the summer, I enjoy lying on the hammock outside and falling asleep as it sways gently back and forth. It really doesn’t get better than that. It’s moments like this that I realize that life is not so much based on pivotal, great moments. Rather, just a collaboration of a million tiny, perfect moments.

As I approach college age, I know I’m going to be leaving home within the near future. I make it a point not to take my life for granted. Too many people in this world are caught up in the belief that you have to be going out to be having fun. For them, staying home is like a prison sentence. I choose not to look at it that way. For me, staying home and taking it easy; is like recharging your battery. When I am done, I feel ready to tackle whatever the world sends my way.

It is a great feeling to have a place in this world where I can let go of my inhibitions and express myself. A house is just a building, but a home is a place where you can free yourself entirely. Just the other night, I was making cookies with my sister. The first batch I made was absolutely pitiful. Anywhere else, I’d be embarrassed at my failure. But in my own home, I found it to be comical. After trying a second time, I was successful. I know having a good home life is not something everyone is fortunate enough to have, so I make good use of mine. When I think of my favorite place, four pictures enter my mind. My house: perched on its hill in winter, spring, summer, and autumn.