Thanks to Technological Advances, the World is Getting Smaller Every Day

Gil - Brookline, Massachusetts
Themes: science

In recent years, our world has benefited from myriads of technological advances. From the Internet to Hybrid automobiles, today’s technology is omnipresent. Lately, much of this expertise has been used in order to produce new communicational devices. Many of these tools allow people to meet people from places all around the world by means of the Internet.

One of these tools is Facebook. Facebook, a social networking website, allows one to make contact with others worldwide. Many of my friends who use Facebook have met new people from various places. They have also been able to maintain contact with current friends, as well as reacquaint with former acquaintances. One man I know had not seen a good friend of his for years, until one day he searched and found him on Facebook. Since then, this man has regained contact with his friend, and recently visited them for the first time in years.

Four years ago, when I was in fourth grade, I received my first e-mail address. Since then, I have been able to maintain contact with several friends. Using e-mail locating programs, I have been able to keep in touch with acquaintances from other sources. Now, I no longer have to wait very long to see far-away friends. If I want to talk to them, I simply log onto my e-mail, and write a message. My e-mail account has revolutionized my lifestyle, as well as the lifestyles of many of my friends.

Another technological innovation which makes this world seem small is news coverage. News sources are everywhere, from the internet to your daily newspaper. If something newsworthy happens somewhere, people on the other side of the globe will be alerted almost instantly. With news coverage, you can know what is happening all around the world.

Another often overlooked communicational feature is the telephone. For over 100 years, people worldwide have been able to talk to one-another by simply picking up the telephone and dialing the number of the person with whom they would like to talk. Many of today’s businesses use telephones every day in order to contact foreign clients. Without telephones, our global economy would be very different. If people would not have been able to communicate with far-away others, a business would only be able to operate within the confines of the place in which it is located.

In conclusion, technology has brought our world together. No longer is distance a limiting factor; now, one can communicate with a far-away friend in a matter of minutes using a variety of communication applications. Also, if something important happens somewhere, people far away will know shortly after. Communicational and informative innovations have helped in every way imaginable. Technology may never replace face-to-face communication; however, it is certainly a step in the right direction.