Hope

Christine - USA
Themes: hope

A mother’s biggest hope, when expecting a baby boy, is that he will be born healthy. She hopes that there will not be any complications. She hopes that the doctor’s will tell her that everything is okay. If she is told otherwise, she may feel like her whole world is crashing down.

At birth, one mother’s baby begins vomiting, and is immediately sent to Mass General Hospital in Boston. After several tests, they found that his bladder was blocked and ended up putting tubes in his back to drain his bladder. The doctors then tell her that they need to remove one of his kidneys and that the other one is slightly damaged. She is immediately left in shock. Wondering what caused this to happen? Why her, and why her baby?

After twenty short years, with one kidney, his doctors told him that it may fail. The waiting list for a donor was exceptionally long, so he could be on dialysis for years. Shockingly, a potential live donor was found. Several months later they were both miraculously lying in hospital beds next to each other, hoping for the best.

The baby boy was actually my older brother, Jason. It was difficult to see someone I loved so much, and that was so young to be going through that much pain. Growing up, I didn’t think too much about Jay’s condition because he looked completely healthy on the outside. Therefore, when he got home from the hospital and told me he was bound to go on dialysis, I broke down. I was so scared. I was scared of his kidney failing and losing the person that I have always looked to for advice, the person that I was closest to.

There are points in everyone’s life when giving up may seem like the best option, or the only option, but it is important to believe that everything happens for a reason. As long as one has hope for a better future, anything is possible. I always had that inside feeling that things would work out for the best. I had hoped that although he was not in the greatest situation, it would, someday, get better.