Little Black Book

Patrick - Iowa City, Iowa

Throughout my 17 years of existence I have learned many things, but the most important thing I’ve learned is also the most obvious: we all have different dreams, talents, and aspirations -each of us have opportunities laying dormant, waiting to exalt us in whichever endeavor our hearts scream for us to lead. But sadly our minds never hear them. In my theory, “greatness” should simply be a microcosm of the world in which we live, where everyone’s divine hidden talents exude from our core’s and intertwine with the intricate fabrics of the world to unite and work in conjunction with each other. In “theory”, each of us is special, and we should be living in a perfect land where one man’s talent is the nation’s treasure. But all too sadly we live in the reality that is society. The irony of this assessment is that so many of us live a false reality, hiding the person we really are in order to act the role that we’re expected to play in the theatrics that is life. Through the form of parents, adults, and friends, societal influences are relentlessly pushing their idealistic norms upon us in an attempt to conform and control the minds of all. We are told how to act, what to like, who to talk to, and how to live our lives. “Cool” is how many substances you happened to consume the previous weekend, “successful” is what law school, med school, or senate seat you are going to pursue, and “tolerance” is gladly interacting with one or two of ‘those guys’ as long as the majority of them stay away from you. But most disturbing of all is the travesty that has become of ‘attractiveness’. Being pretty has turned into a contest of who can waste the most money on designer clothing, purses, and Ugg-ly (he-he, I crack myself up) boots, while simultaneously maintaining perky breasts held up by some sort of padding device, faces layered with more gunk than the bottom of Big Foot’s… well, foot, and the almost constant change of chemically damaged strands that once had the makings of hair. Our parents and schools are putting more pressure than ever on us to excel, our friends are constantly telling us what actions are considered normal, and everyone is guilty of talking badly about someone behind their backs. As a result we’re not only forgetting how to be ourselves, but are scared to show the world who we really are.