Donors Give Functionality

Casey - Ferdinand, Indiana

I believe it is everyone’s responsibility to be a tissue and organ donor. People now have the capacity to create organs like bladders, livers, skin and even hearts, to a certain extent, as well as tissue types like connective and muscle. However, these creations take a great amount of time, energy, money, and resources to pull off. A person in need of one would be paying an arm and a leg for it anyway, only figuratively of course, so they’re probably coming out worse off than they were. But this adds to why I believe in the giving power of donors.

I find it fascinating that I have part of another person inside me, allowing me the ability to run and participate in sports again. It’s an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) graft from a cadaver, which is just a fancy word for corpse. Technically it’s a patella tendon graft, but it now serves as my ACL. This corpse used to be a living twenty-one year old guy. It sounds sick and evil, but it’s a good thing, for me anyway, that guy died. Well, maybe not so much that he died, because that sounds morbid, but that he said “yes” to the donor question at the license branch. I’m thankful for this gift and sometimes sit and wonder: Who was this twenty-one year old? How did he live? How did he die? Where was he from? Can I tell a bartender I’m twenty-one now? … Or at least part of me is. But on a serious note, I sometimes wonder why this guy died. Not how, but why. Is there a reason the lives of others, myself included, were improved or possibly saved at the cost of this young man’s? Who’s to say he wouldn’t have done greater things in life than some of the recipients? It’s tough to appreciate that fact that the full function of my leg has been restored because this man died. So why not donate your body parts if it can save or improve the life of another? What are you going to need them for anyway if you’re dead? I believe in donors.