Artful Equality

Jesse - Lincoln, California

I spend my time socializing and trying to personify my ideals through art and poetry in the hopes of moral understanding. Through this I see the truth and believe in only one thing that is more important than my self-understanding, and that is the understanding of those around me. It’s almost impossible to think past ones self, but why? We are all so caught up in our own personal agendas that we miss the beauty of those other than ourselves. Most people never have time to rationalize what a community consists of. It’s not just you and me in this world, and yet we are being taught that we have to look out for number one. I don’t have a number one to look out for; I have the people around me. They are my number ones. I’m not going to lie, everyone has needs, but when people can’t see past their dependency of an altered ego then it becomes repulsive. We are all in this together. And yes, there will be hate, and no, we won’t know why. This doesn’t give the incentive to hate back. It’s the 2nd grade mentality of “You hit me, I hit you back”, which only ends as a vicious cycle. “Live to let go, never regret, and only learn.” Life isn’t about getting back at people, but it’s been manipulated to seem as though it’s that way. Don’t let your sense of decency be exploited as a weakness.

This doesn’t mean I let people walk over me, but I will give them the respect they give me. If I find how they treat me is meager or pathetic I won’t even respond. The key is not to get a complex about things. I’ve learned it is easier to forget and let things ride, then go on a rampage or rant on things that don’t matter in the first place. It may seem conceded for me to say, I’m not in someone else’s shoes, but I can do my best to help people feel relative to how I do. I would do this out of respect for those around me. My existential perception of an equalized social plain may never come true, but I can do my best to spread my ideals and do my part in change. Anyone really has the power to affect someone’s life whether it is positive or negative.

The first part of acknowledging a simpler aspect to life is by not tripping on the irrelevant issues at hand. When you stress about the smallest things it can change who you are. Things like your appearance, the way you act, or the way present yourself can mislead your perception of what a life should be like. You fall into the grasp of a media demon or peer aggression and lose yourself in the process. Being who you are is important. I am who I am and I am fine. Understand others before yourself, for they make up the embodiment of your reality. Without them, you are alone. With them, you are unified.