The Weird Kids

Courtney - Rocklin, California

I learned my belief in second grade, the year that I met my best friend. I believe that you can’t judge a book by it’s cover.

When I was in second grade a new girl named Laura moved to our class. Immediately, everyone in my class labeled her as an outcast. Laura was almost a head taller than the rest of us, her skin was pale and her clothes were out of style. That night, I was telling my mom about how weird Laura was and how no one in the class liked her. What she said to me was “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” The next day Laura was paired as my project partner. My mom ended up being right, Laura was not weird, she was actually one of the nicest people I had ever met. From that day on I never saw Laura as the tall pale-skinned girl, I saw her only as my best friend.

Over the years, I continued looking past peoples appearances and I made a lot of friends. I learned that the people all the “cool” kids thought were weird; actually make the best of friends. People would always say I was so nice trying to be friends with all the weird kids and sometimes girls would ask me how I can stand being friends with the girl who always wears black or the girl that does not straighten her hair. I am friends with them because they are amazing people. They are the friends that are not going to fight with me over a boy, they are the ones that like me for who I am, not what I look like. My friends are real friends.

Whenever someone makes a remark about one of my friends because she wears glasses, I think about how they do not know that she is one of the funniest people ever. Or that my friend who seems so quiet is actually loud and so much fun to be around. Just because they do not look like what society today thinks they should, does not mean that they should be seen as outcasts.

Granted, it might have been easier to stay away from the “weird” kids. I would have friends that everyone liked, friends all the boys thought were pretty. But then, I would have missed out on the people that truly do like you for you and not what you look like.

Eight years ago I had always thought my friends would be popular and we would go to all the parties together and have a perfect life. I never would have imagined that I would become friends with the “smart” kid or the pale faced girl. But I would rather be friends with them, over one of the popular kids any day. The old saying “You can’t judge a book by its cover” is true. And this, I believe.