Dont Wait To Be Happy

Emily - Rocklin, California

I believe you shouldn’t wait for happiness; you have to go after it if you really want it.

Four and a half years ago my life was flipped upside down. That summer my parents decided to part their ways and get a divorce. I was devastated. I knew right then and there my life was going to change. That’s when I realized I needed to make my life a lot better and a lot easier for me.

That same year I started my first year in high school. A Brand new school and new people. A great start to get my life back on track. So I started to do things I wouldn’t normally do, I joined a sport, took classes I wouldn’t normally take and joined a few clubs. My life was almost there.

The only thing that was missing was trying to fit in. All my friends had their parents still together. I always felt the odd one out. Everyone had something I didn’t have. They were able to see their parent’s everyday. I craved for what my friends had. After a year I knew my parents would never be together again.

Whenever I went to any of my friends homes, seeing their family all together on a special day or holiday, smiling and having fun together. I would just think back when I was younger when I had that, and how happy we all were together always brought tears to my eyes thinking that I would never have that again.

As years went on I got to know more and more people and I was finally accepting my parents not being together anymore. My life was finally backed on track. To this very day I am very happy with my life. My parents may not be together but I’ve realized that I rather have my life and how a feel to this very day. Along my journey finding different ways to make my life better and to be happy I met new people, joined a sport I would have never tried out for in a million years and learned many new things. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Don’t waste a minute being unhappy. If one window closes- run to the next window- or break down a door.” – Unknown. This I believe because if you are unhappy then just sitting there doing nothing about it makes you feel even worse and you will never be happy if you don’t go out into the world and change how you feel. Take chances, get out there and do something you wouldn’t normally do. Meet new people, learn more things, so you can feel different than you did before, get out there and change your life.