Truth

Inna - north port, Florida

When I was young, about 12 years old in middle school my geography teacher gave out extra credit if we were to answered random questions correctly and turned then in at the end of each week. Well one question that I can most clearly recall was: “Which city was further east, Salt Lake City, Utah or Las Vegas, Nevada?” And it was one of those lazy days where I didn’t want to do anything but lay around so I decided to ask my friend, Amanda. Amanda was convinced that Las Vegas was farther east and so I believed her and wrote the answer down. But the next day I wanted to check if my homework was all complete and ready to be turned in early, I realized that Las Vegas couldn’t possibly be farther east than Salt Lake City. I questioned Amanda one more time but she stood by her answer that she was willing to make a bet on. So she put $5 where her mouth is and was ready to defend herself.

I pulled the Atlas from under my desk and turned to a page of the United States for Amanda to see. She had a puzzled look on her face and replied that the map didn’t look right. I didn’t understand what she meant so I decided to show her myself.

When I traced down the line of longitude to show that Salt Lake City was farther west than Las Vegas, Amada said that the lines of longitude aren’t numbered correctly. I didn’t say anything but it made me wonder if she can actually see what was in the book or if she knew how to read the lines of longitude and latitude.

I learned a few things from this experience; truth exists but we sometimes avoid it or just simply deny it. Truth is discovered and relies on facts not what one things or their opinion. Truth is sometimes painful and avoiding it seems like an easy way out. But in all reality “we need to face the truth.”

I guess I’ll never really understand if my friend knew what I was talking about or was she just pretending to be stupid. Maybe it was because she didn’t want to pay up. It’s a mystery of what people do with truth, what I do is tell it.

But one thing that I do know is that I never got my $5.