Expression is Everything

Jessica - North Port, Florida

There was once a time in my life when I never expressed myself. I never found a way to. I kept everything, and I mean everything, to myself. The only way I could express myself privately was writing. I wrote a lot of short stories and poems. But eventually I got tired of writing. So there I was, back at square one.

Then, one day, I went to my cousin’s dance performance. As I watched the dancers, their facial expressions matched the fierceness of their moves. When it came time to watch the second dance, the dancers were graceful and a look of serenity was placed upon their faces. I thought to myself, there’s a great source of expression. I loved the way the dance moods played the atmosphere. You could feel the tension when they danced around the fake fire. You could feel the blissfulness as the twirled around the fake pond. It was beautiful. I finally found a way to express myself again, and in a new way.

I went home that day with an opened mind. I watched dance videos on how to do chassés and grande jetés. I learned how to jazz walk and get crump… Every type of dance move you could think of, I wanted to learn. I soon found out that ballroom was my favorite. It was a look of graceful control. I loved gliding along the floor and looking serious.

There was soon a dance type or move that matched my every expression, my every mood. And that’s how I express myself. Dancing. So expression is everything, some people just need to know how they connect with themselves. Dancing is my expression, what’s yours?