thank god for instincts

Corey - North Port, Florida
Themes: love

I believe in the tie between a child and his/her mother.

My mom and I have always had a strong connection. I remember feeling really strange one day when I was three. I felt vulnerable, like the slightest thing could set me off crying. When I came home my dad told me that my mom had been in a car accident. I later found out the full extent. A woman had pulled out in front of her and my mom couldn’t stop in time. She herniated a disk in her neck, the other woman was fine. The doctors had to remove the herniated disk from her neck and replace it with a piece of her hip. To this day my mom can’t turn her head all the way.

Then when I was a little older my mom had to go in for surgery. My dad told me that it was nothing to worry about and that she would be okay but I knew it was more. I knew that this surgery was for her life. It wasn’t until a few years ago that I found out that the reason she had gone in for surgery and a few more after that was because she had melanoma and they were removing it from her back. Thankfully she’s fine now.

The things that I knew about my mom were nothing compared to what she knew about me. A little less than fifteen years ago my mom thought she was pregnant. She went to the doctor and after an examination the doctor said that she wasn’t. He said that she was just sick and gave her some medicine. My mom knew that she was pregnant and apparently so did the nurse because as she was leaving the room the nurse pulled her aside and told my mom not to take the medicine because it would kill her baby. She listened to the nurse and her instinct and nine months later I was born.

But before I was born disaster struck. I was still in the womb and I stopped moving. The doctor insisted that my blood sugar was just low and that my mom just needed to eat something. My mom knew better. She ate to prove a point then when I still didn’t move she insisted they induce labor because something was wrong. She was right. I was born with the umbilical cord wrapped twice around my neck and the placenta had stopped growing six weeks earlier so I wasn’t getting my nourishment. I didn’t move because I was conserving my energy.

Twice I knew about my mother’s problems and twice she knew of mine. I owe my life to her instinct and I am happy she has it. I know that I don’t need to be afraid whether I’m lost in the desert, in the middle of an African rain forest, or deserted on some uncharted island there will always be someone that knows right away. What can I say it’s just something that exists between a child and his/her mother.