Elle Fera un Vélo

Remi - St. Louis, Missouri
Themes: hope

Elle fera un vélo loosely translated is French for she will ride a bike. In my Academic Lab a friend of mine showed me a picture she had drawn in her French class. It was a stick figure girl riding her bike. The sun in the sky was smiling and wearing shades. The girl had a smile on her face even the bike and the tree in the background looked happy. I’m not quite sure why but to me this picture seemed amazingly extraordinary. The idea that “she will ride a bike” was an extremely fascinating one. It was more than just a stick figure drawing. It was a message of hope. That is why I believe elle fera un vélo.

Often times people get awfully caught up in all the chaos in their lives. Whether it’s simple worries like homework or what to make for dinner, or realer hardships like how to pay the mortgage or medical bills there is always something that has to be done. There is something that takes over our minds and makes us worry. Sometimes these worries can overwhelm us. These are the moments when you find yourself sitting there thinking “what now?”, “what am I going to do now?”. Why is it that everyone doesn’t just keel over then and there? What is it that propels us to move forewor?. The answer… elle fera un vélo. The answer is hope. I believe that as humans there is a hopeful spirit built into us. We think that hard situations can and will get better. We believe that there has to be more out there. We believe that somewhere there is a smiling sun, a happy bike, and an ecstatic tree waiting for us. We believe in elle fera un vélo.

When I think about it makes perfect sense that I believe such things. There have been so many instances in my life that I have gotten through because of hope. When I was younger I lived in London for two years while my mom had to go to school at Penn. I had hope that everything would be okay. And guess what… it was. Though every situation doesn’t wind up in the most desirable way hope allows us to get through all of the hard times. Hope is the smiling sun at the end of dark tunnels. That is why I believe in hope. I believe elle fera un vélo.