The Power Of Th Internet

Miten - Creve Coeur, Missouri

I believe in zombie movies. Three parts corn syrup, one part water, with a little red food coloring, this recipe has got me further than anyone could have predictied. On June 21, 2008, I along with five hundred people dre ssed as zombies, and descended on Millennium Park in Chicago. We gathered in the center of the park, a hord of moaning creatures. You couldnt walk five feet without someone streching their arms out towards you and groaning, the only recognizable word being brains.

We marched across the streets of downtown Chicago, passers by staring in a state of confusion and laughter. People would glance at their car windows and turn away, only to turn their heads violently back at the glass, looking in awe at the surreal sight. Lasting for two hours, we paraded around the city, eventually ending up at a baseball field. It was here, in this mass sea of the undead, I realized something. A simple revalation, but one that has effected me since, and it was this: How much fun I was having.

This may seem like such an obvious thing, but it was not, the whole afternoon seemed like some odd delusion. It was then, after I really started to think about what had just occured, did I realize how insane everything was. It’s still hard to understand, how all these people managed to pull of such an event, the reason for this being that all of these people had not previously met. The only thing in common we all had was facebook, a social networking website. Someone had thought of the idea for the march, made a group on facebook, and everyone showed up.

This leads me to what I belive, I believe that the internet can bide people together. I believe that hobbies that people have and express through the internet can unite. It can make friendships and lasting bonds. Since the march I have expierienced more of this same phenomenon.

This summer I began posting videos on youtube, a video sharning website. I didnt contribute much just short films I made, I didn’t think much of it. Then something happend, after being on the website for some time I began to search around and I discovered something, the amount of discussion going on. On the outside it just seems like a video sharning website, but if you really dig deep it is something much more. Its a community, an immense cornicopia of discussion and creativity. It became so much more than a website for me, it became an outlet for my creative side, me being a very shy person I was finnaly able to express myself and communicate through out this community. Ive been able to talk to people across the globe, the only common thread we have being intrest in film.

I belive that the internet is an untapped medium, an expanding form of communication, not only with those already known, but the people yet to meet. Many people hear about the negative things about the internet, but what is rarely heared is the side of the internet that is breaking new ground. The internet is growing into a thing of wonder, a portal to another world where friendships can be made. People are able to connect to others across the world, it is something that has never been before, and I belive that this ever growing, ever expanding medium will greatly change the world.