Morgan - St.Louis, Missouri

The air was crisp, the temperature couldn’t have been more than twenty degrees, and everything was sparkling with the sun bouncing off the snow covered ground in every direction. School had been canceled on account of the snow and I just couldn’t wait to meet up with my friends to go sledding, the only problem was my mom wanted me to walk my dog Tipper first. to my mom but there was no getting out of it so I walked Tipper down to this open field nearby that was surrounded by trees, bushes, and a now frozen creek. I wondered into the woods, sat down on a stump, and let Tipper off her leash. Once I sat down I immediately became mesmerized by the enchanted snow covered trees, icy creek, and red cardinal birds tweeting nearby. I felt like I had sat down in the middle of a scene from “Snow White.” After that moment I was extremely glad my mom had made me take Tipper for a walk, because you never know which moments you’re going to end up cherishing in life. From this experience I discovered that I believe in living in the moment.

I have found that the most precious moments are the unexpected ones. Almost everyone gets excited for their birthday. I know that I always get eager when October is only a few months away. I can’t wait for the cake and presents. Except sometimes I begin to imagine and plan out in my head how I will celebrate my birthday and what presents I will get, and then when it’s actually my birthday I’m somewhat disappointed when I didn’t get the Malibu Barbe I was hoping for. Living in the moment sometimes means having little, or no expectations. It’s the moments I haven’t anticipated in my head that excite me the most. It’s the unplanned movie nights with my friends that always end up being the most memorable and fun.

And spending time with my friends is always fun, but I’m not going to lie to you, the most fun I’ve ever had with someone, is with my mom. It’s the times when my mom makes fun of me and claims she’s funny that I laugh the most. It’s the nights when I go to say goodnight to my parents, and she draws me in with her laughter, that I end up saying goodnight for an hour. I never planned on laughing with her for an hour as I lost precious time that I could have been sleeping, but these unexpected moments are the moments that make life so enjoyable and are the moments that I will cherish and remember throughout life. These are the moments I live for.