The silver lining on a dark cloud

Jennifer - st.louis, Missouri
Themes: hope

I believe that there is always some small element of good that can be found in even the darkest of places. Nothing is all entirely bad, but unfortunately nothing is ever entirely good.

The summer before 3rd grade was a horrible time for me as a young girl. That was the summer in which my parents separated. A year and a half later in January of 2003 they got an official divorce. Looking back at the past 7 years I see so much of the pain and fear that I suffered. I can see the damage done to me by one of the people who should have sheltered me, cared for me, and loved me; a person who should have made me “his little girl”. Even though I see all this pain and suffering, I am still able to find a silver lining to this dark black cloud. My mother is much happier now, and so are I and my sister. I have also learned a valuable lesson in how one should take care of children, and how those children should be treated. I now can say “I have now learned what mistakes not to make”. I know what not to do. Years passed and my life went on, but not quite as before.

The summer before 8th grade, when I was 12 years old approaching my 13th birthday I got very sick, very suddenly. In the blink of an eye I was almost among those who came before me, among those who had died. But I miraculously got better, for just as quickly as I had come so close to death, I was immediately whisked back to the gift which I had now been given twice, life. My experience in the hospital that summer was incredibly difficult, and it is one that I will never, and can never forget. It has made me who I am today. And although some people have criticized me for saying this, I am so very glad that it happened. Even with permanent damage done to my body I am able to see life as a gift, not as a privilege. I am able to see how blessed my life is. And quite frankly, not many teenagers are able to say that with real meaning. But I am. I am alive. And for this I am so grateful.

I can look back over the years and see the trauma I have endured, but then I realize that I overcame it. I climbed that hill. I reached the top. And not only that, but in the process I learned, and grew. And in that respect, there is good that came from the bad.

I believe that there is good everywhere, in everything. The only way you will ever reach the end of the tunnel, is to look for a glimmer of light. Look for the silver lining on that dark black cloud. Finding that small piece of good will make all the difference.