Mental-Widgets

Michael - San Francisco, California

Arrival. Whole Foods (same store everywhere) I deal with different humans. Set up a table and brew and give away coffee. I sell my mental-widgets with care. I am good at talking to people. I could sell a Danish cartoon book to the Ayatollah. I may have done this once.

I sell mental-widgets. I was in Santa Cruz this Morning, Monterey this afternoon, and San Francisco soon. Traveling widget-salesman. Mental-widgets, that is.

Brains evolved to receive. We received the tune, and wave-length snakes nudged the apple into our hands. Weight and time. We had no concept, as animals. No time frame. We can sense it now and it passes because everything is in movement. Mental gravity, the gravity of the situation, it moves and we feel ourselves move through time.

Pass by some fires on highway one…

In some strange space. Minuscule minds in an inconceivable universe on some spec out in the ether. Teeny little heads housing minds that can imagine anything. Dreams so grandiose we cry and taste all the emotional spectrum. Full of bright blood and love and pain. We are floating, dying and wandering. Building and slowing killing communication, trying to grasp that the sands of time seize once for us all.

Widgets. Some are useless. Some are cars. Some are wastes of money. Some are ideas. Some are feelings. They are all a manor of widget. I sell those. I sell mental widgets.

Ideas. The people who grow this seed, in developing countries, pesticides aren’t good for them, nor you, nor the whole darn world. Buy my mental widget. Coffee is the most consumed beverage in the USA, perhaps the world, always at war with tea in the polls. The seed is a seed that is roasted. Call it a bean, I don’t freaking care, but it is a seed.

Mental widgets. I sell those. I sell not a roasted seed, I sell the mental-widget that says people deserve to work in a safe environment and get paid a fair amount of money. Some people buy my mental widgets because they need coffee, and I am there. Others because they want to FEEL good about themselves. Some because they are guilty because I pressure them. Some because they pretend to care, for political correctness sake. Some people buy my mental-widgets because they honestly believe in the principle of the thing. As do I.

But my job isn’t to get people to see like I do, and have a heart, and honestly care for people in the world. My job isn’t to turn us all on to the collective mind. I make it as much about that as I can, whenever I can. More freedom than most, in that respect.

I sell mental widgets. So I can afford food and rent. So I can go to school. I am broke. But I love this job. I call people, I drive places, I sell them widgets. A widget that is out there no matter what, might as well sell a mental-widget I agree with while get through this crazy time.

Almost to San Francisco. Interstate 280 approaching Daly City. I’ll be home soon.