Couches are a Man’s Best Friend

Jason - Louisville, Kentucky
Themes: place, pleasure

I love couches; they symbolize the comforts of a loving home. It is the forum of a household for family gatherings, and reminds people to unwind after a tough day at the office. Although it’s an odd statement, I believe in couches. People don’t realize the profound effect they can have. Even when your life is problematic, a couch is always inviting and comforting. It’s the most important setting for a home life, and I feel if more people were in tune with their couches, their families, comforts, and beliefs would follow suit.

Since my early childhood, my mother has had an obsession with couches. She’s the type who spent hours looking at the varieties available at the furniture store, when most people would leave within minutes. I have inherited my mother’s love for couches, and while I am not as enthusiastic as her (she owns seven), I still have a passion for them. My mother would preach that its warmth brings happiness to all people. Having a couch is important in every home, because this center of the house is a symbol of family, love, and unity. I spent the most time at home near a couch, whether I was conversing with my family, studying, lounging, or taking a nap; it’s where my best memories are.

When I left home for college, I learned the “couch effect” was not prominent in the dorm life. In the limited space provided in my dorm, there is no room for couches. This lack of a central social object has led to decreased social interaction with my roommate. However, I think my residence hall respects the power of the couch by making sure to put a few in the lobbies; this is where the real community development takes place. Students come out looking for space or fresh air and to meet some good characters, share some stories, and build relationships. This is where I find myself making friends at school. I have a feeling that if UK invested in more couches, less students would drop out due to home sickness.

I believe something as simple as a couch can change lives. It provides means of comfort and warmth in a home that isn’t seen anywhere else. A couch can add reassurance after rough days at school or work. It can be a great place to relax and read your favorite novel, or to take a nap. I shared treasured memories of watching sports with my father where games became so intense, I jumped on the couch to cheer. These are ways that a couch can influence a person’s life, but the most important aspect is how it provides the stability of family life through communication and relaxation in the living room. This is what universities are lacking, and until couches receive bigger roles in the college lifestyle, we’ll have to wait for our own homes to provide us with what we truly need. This is why I believe in couches.