Being Grateful

Antonio - North Pole, Alaska

Today many people do not understand the meaning of being grateful, even though they think they do. When one is grateful, they appreciate what they have, and do not ask for more all the time. In the past, I have been upset about not receiving what I wanted. On my birthday, I got a new cell phone, but since it was not the one I wanted, I was upset. Afterwards, I realized that I should have been grateful because I have a cell phone when others do not. Whenever this happens, I try to think about the people in the world that are grateful for what they have, even though it is sometimes not much.

People that I portray as being grateful are the Native Americans from the pre-colonial times to now. Although many people may not believe in the beliefs of the Native Americans, they did not stop treating the environment with respect. They were not carelessness like some people are today. They were thankful for the land around them, and appreciated all that it offered them. Today, people are not grateful for our land, they are constantly polluting it, and destroying the natural habitats, causes animals to become extinct.

The reason I think people are not grateful, is because they are self-centered. They think that the reason why someone is in poverty is not their problem. Then they go out and buy things, and do not get the meaning of being grateful that they are able to get the stuff they want. Most people do not become grateful until they lose what they have. The time that people are most grateful is most likely Thanksgiving and Christmas. Just because Thanksgiving and Christmas are about being thankful, does not mean it is the only time we should be thankful.

My English teacher Mrs. Julian goes to the Dominican Republic every year and brings toys and other items to an orphanage. To me, this is being truly charitable, because she provides necessities and want to the unfortunate. If you can do this I think this, helps people truly understand the meaning of being grateful. These children before only had three toys among twenty-eight of them, and they were very thankful for the things provided. They understand the value of taking care of what they have, unlike other kids who go through toys faster than the increasing population of China.

I honestly believe that if people were to step in the shoes of someone less fortunate than themselves, they could truly understand the meaning of being grateful. No one knows the true meaning of being grateful until they lose what they have. If the people suffering from poverty can be grateful for what they have, then so can everyone else.