Value of Sports

Jake - North Pole, Alaska

Sports are one thing that everyone should participate in at some part of their life. Sports succeed in teaching people important qualities, such as: communication, teamwork, confidence, friendship, and the benefits of being active. Sports also help people keep their focus on other things, like school, and the responsibility of having and maintaining a schedule.

I believe that sports have helped me to achieve higher grades in school. Whenever I am involved in a sport, I am more focused on my schoolwork because I have a schedule to keep every day. I wake up, eat breakfast, go to school, go to practice, and come home to do my homework. Without this structure to the day, it is harder to focus on just one thing and in between sports seasons I feel a little bit lost because part of my schedule is gone.

As an athlete, sports have been an integral part of my life for many years. I have realized that a team in sports can only succeed if everyone on the team believes in the team, and truly believes in what teamwork can do. I know this to be true because as a member of a football team, I have seen first hand just how important believing in the team is. Unless everyone on the team gives one hundred percent to the cause at hand, the team has no chance of succeeding, and even with this, they may not succeed. This can also teach people about failure, and especially how failure can motivate you to win and work harder. Everyone must learn about failure at some point, and it might as well be in sports instead of some other time.

I believe that sports teach equality. They teach individuals to put aside their differences for the good of the team. Even when two players do not like each other, when put on the same team together, they are given the opportunity to improve their relationship. Being on a team together gives people an increased chance of being able to resolve their differences. These players will be afforded the opportunity to learn about each other and trust each other, and also to bond with one another through experiences that only sports can provide them with.

I believe that sports contribute greatly to one’s self-esteem. They give people a sense of unity, importance, and confidence from participating. All of these work hand in hand and feed off of each other. The unity is a great part of sports because it gives people the feeling that they are part of something greater than themselves. When someone experiences this, it helps their self-esteem, which also directly correlates to how they perform in their sport and other activities. When a person starts performing at the best of their abilities this builds their confidence, and they start to believe that nothing is impossible.