The Importance of Working Kids

Alicia - Brooks, Oregon
Themes: family, work

Being raised one of five girls in a two-bedroom, one-bathroom, 860-square-ft. green farm house, I believe in the importance of upbringing your children to do tough manual labor with high expectations and standards. Truly, these standards may seem like the long way to go about things sometimes. However, a benefit resides in the long run. Less corners will get cut, and in result, a work ethic and future develop!

Doing what my elders (such as my parents, grandparents, or three older sisters) told me to do, and working hard at it was the standard always expected. A wooden spoon or stern talking to fixed any problems with sloppily and half-heartedly performing a task, due to a personal lack of motivation.

This mindset of working efficiently and diligently at any necessary task has been vested into me ever since I can remember! For example, one hot summer day my grandmother ordered seven units of bark dust. Truckers, without delay, delivered it out to her house, and Grandma Betty directed the fifteen grandkids like worker bees in a hive. My cousins and I competitively raced wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of bark dust to the flower beds until no more bark dust lay on the lightly-dusted tarp. But a problem arose as some flowerbeds had yet to receive their steamy, warm blanket of bark dust. The grandkids, excited=2 0to have completed the goal, quickly devoured lunch and dove into the pool. But, not for long, thanks to Grandma Betty! As we splashed in the pool, grandma ordered more bark dust. We watched from the water as the dump trucks refilled the tarps. Grandma pulled us out of the pool at that moment, and made us finish the extra four units she had ordered. Finally, after completing our project, we could get back in, and feel total accomplishment.

My grandmother making us finish the job before we spent the couple ounces of energy left in us on swimming demonstrated the principle of taking care of responsibilities before playing. I didn’t understand then, but now looking back, overwhelming gratefulness engulfs me. My grandmother’s wise choice of forcing us to finish our work seems to me, tremendously intelligent! Everyone currently present and able to work would prove getting them to come back another day a difficult task in itself, and taken more time! Why not finish it now? The smartest choice lies within the simple principle of work before play.

This is only one experience that shows the importance of doing physical labor as a child. To this day, everyone of us grandkids remembers that event. It has been a testimony of how to get the job done, and one to encourage us not to cut corners in the future. So, because of this, I believe in the importance of upbringing your children to do reasonable, yet semi-demanding labor with high expectations and standards.