What is love?

Rachel - North Port, Florida
Themes: love

I believe in love. What is love? Love makes you who you are, not only that though it shapes you in the world we live in today. Love could be for any kinds of emotion or experiences that you have strong affection for. Love could be for a family member, or a husband, daughter, or even a book. Interpersonal love though is what I’m talking about.

My grandparents are a good example of what I believe in. 50 years ago they meet on an army base in Florida. My grandmother was only 19 when she got married, though this didn’t stop them. In the fifty years they have spent together they have made love work even when the bad times came around.

Before my grandmother had 4 kids of her own; she had 3 miscarriages. The doctor told her there was no hope that if she got pregnant again the baby she was to have would be a miscarriage, just like the other three. How could you live with that? Not knowing what could have been during those tough times my grandparents shared a love that nothing could break. Also, in 1986 there first born was shot, and killed at a corner store. They were devastated but instead of yelling and screaming at each other, they were there to grieve from the loss they shared.

Last year my grandparents celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary together. This has showed me what love is. When you’re around them you can just feel the everlasting bond between the two of them. My grandparents are they only people I know that haven’t been divorced. Honestly, in the world today more families are divorced then they are married. Though I know my grandparents aren’t the only ones who have this love, I really, truly look up to those who do care for each other, for better for worse.

So what is love I ask myself? I believe the love my grandparents share for each other. The passion and the friendship they have together. Through the ups and the downs. The good and the bad. This to me is what love is all about, and one day I hope I will be able to share this love that so many people talk about.