i believe in hard work

rashad - north port, Florida
Themes: sports, work

I Believe

I believe in hard work. In this world there is always somebody that is better than you at what you do. That’s why you have to work hard to maintain your position. Working hard is something you have to be devoted to because sometimes you just feel like quitting. But if you quit your spot would be filled in the matter of seconds.

The summer of my freshman year I had to have a life threatening surgery. My appendix had burst. The poison was all in my stomach and they had tubes in all areas of my body. The only way I was going to get cured is if they cut me open and drain all of my appendix and also grab the appendix left over’s. Before I had went into the hospital I was 5’8 175 pounds. That was a pretty good size for an outside linebacker on my JV football team. But after the surgery and me not being able to eat or drink anything for 3 and half weeks. I weighed 140 pounds. When I first looked in the mirror I start crying because I was not use of looking like that.

I was determined to get back on the football field and I wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I wasn’t able to play my sophomore year but my junior year I went out for spring football. I liked it because I had to work myself up. None of the coaches knew me. They might have thought that I was just another goof ball running around. I had to work hard on my feet work and my knowledge of the plays. I told myself that I was going to start in the spring game.

I worked hard and was able to get my weight back up. Now I am 6’0 and 185 pounds. That’s ok for a varsity outside linebacker. The coaches started to notice me when we start putting on the football pads. I told myself whoever gets in my way I would run them slap over. Just as I said one of the football players that was on varsity since his sophomore got in front of me and I rammed him completely over. After I did that I screamed out let’s go to make the other players know that I was coming for one of their spots.

By my senior I played all the linebacker positions and I started at middle linebacker. I was respected by the players and the coaches. That was hard work and nothing else. I love all the football players on my team. We were all like brothers and our coach was like the dad. They loved when I played a joke on the new players. I would take of my shirt and the new guy would say woooooo what happened to you man. And I would look at them with a serious face and say that I was wrestling an alligator and they would be like man you are pretty damn tough and I would be yeah I know. My silly friends would always give the joke away by laughing so much and so loud.

That is why I believe in hard work. Because if you work hard at anything you can achieve it to the fullest.