Mirrors Never Show True Beauty

Torry - loveland, Colorado

Mirrors never show true beauty; true beauty comes from the heart and soul, not from what you see through a mirror. I grew up in beauty pageants, surrounded by all of those girls with gorgeous, painted faces and elegant, ‘Barbie like’ dresses. For these girls, the long stage and spot lights were the only things they cared about; they wanted to be the best and win the beautiful sparkling tiara. For this is causing anger, and envy within the girls; they want this victory over the other girls, they want the prize that says, “They are Beautiful”, when the truth is, they are making themselves more and more unpleasant and unappealing by the moment.

It was back in 1998 that I remember seeing the spot lights shinning bright up upon my face, the stage growing longer and more narrow as I walked closer towards the end, and I hear the clapping and sounds of cheers from the crowd coming from all angles. This was one pageant I didn’t really like, it wasn’t that I didn’t like dressing up in all of those fun, crazy outfits and getting my hair and make-up professionally done; I mean, what girl doesn’t like doing that? The reason I didn’t like that pageant in particular was that it wasn’t just the judges that judged me, but it was also the competition that judged me as well. When the girls, the Competition, judged me, they were not afraid to say anything straight to my face to get me freaked out about the pageant, all they wanted to do was psych me out so they can claim the tiara as theirs. Everything they said still sticks in my head to this day, ‘The judges don’t want short girls, they want tall beautiful girls like us’, or ‘You’re too shy, you can’t be in this competition, the judges are looking for a girl with spunk. So just quit now.’ Every girl replied that to one another.

The thing was, I never said one thing to the competition and every time I tried they just mocked me, back sassed me, and gave me these dirty looks. All I ever wanted to do was just talk to them and get to know them, and I did. They are the gorgeous girls you may see in those magazines all the time, but their heart is a black hole. They don’t care about anyone but themselves and winning that pageant.

Winning isn’t everything, if you let your greed and envy consume you, your true beauty will wilt away and you’ll see yourself through the mirror as someone you do not like.