I Believe

Britt - Loveland, Colorado

Day to day, people continue to give up on their dreams and insist that they will never come true. However, I am one to never give up on my dreams because I believe that with a little hard work and fight, your dreams can come true. The second I realized and truly believed this, it allowed me to accomplish one of my all time biggest dreams, a state championship.

The chance to win a state championship and to accomplish one of my biggest dreams of all came during my volleyball season of junior year at Mountain View High School. As the season began, my team came in ranked third in the state, and everyone began to count us out and insist that we were not going to be the state champions. We weren’t counted out because we didn’t have the talent; we were counted out because not one girl on our team exceeded the height of five foot ten inches. Not having the height defiantly left us at a disadvantage, but the team knew we had the talent, connection, and fight that no other team in the state had to make our dream of a state championship come true. Once our season began, we continued to win match after match after match with no doubt in our minds, until we reached our match against Berthoud. When we walked onto the court, we had no idea what the outcome would be because we were both undefeated, so far. The moment the first ball was in play, it was like we had lost every belief we ever had in ourselves. As the match proceeded on, we just got murdered. Once the match was over, we got all our beliefs back and realized that it was ok we lost because we would see them again when it mattered, which was at the state championships. The season began to wind down, and we made it to state. We came in ranked in the bottom half, but that was alright because we had the fight we needed to get to the top and make a dream come true. As the state tournament began, we gave no team any hope of ever beating us, especially Berthoud, and that landed us a semi-final match against Regis. We showed them no mercy and killed them to make it to the championship match. The dream now sat in front of us and was just waiting to be grabbed. The question to be answered though, was would Cheyenne Mountain or us grab it first. Finally, the time came to make it happen, so we put up a fight that Cheyenne Mountain could not take. That fight made our dream that we could be the 2007 State Champions come true. Our belief that we could accomplish that dream, even after we lost it for awhile, allowed us to get it done with a little fight.

As my life continues on, my dreams will be big and small, they will be altered, they will be changed, and they may even be lost for awhile, but no matter what they become, I believe they can turn into a dream come true. All you have to do is put up a little fight.