Family is Important

Alison - Eielson AFB, Alaska

Family is Important

My dad says family will always be there for you; I believe in every word he says. When my dad became a commander in the Air Force, he had to write a speech for the ceremony. He put in his speech that his new squadron became part of the family. At first, I was confused about why he had said this. I thought about it and came to the conclusion that they were “family” because they call the house at night, but that was not right. Then I thought some more, and settled on the idea that his troops became family because they have to work together like one. While watching him and the troops together, I also know that they care about each other as if they are brothers and sisters.

My father’s job causes my family to move to many different places. Because we move so much, I have to leave many friends behind and say goodbye to everything I was used to. When people who have never experienced this lifestyle hear about it, they always feel sympathetic. People are always saying sorry, or trying to help out but my family makes it just fine. The reason we can get through moving so much is because we represent the definition of “family.” We stick together and love each other no matter what we go through.

Through every move and journey, my family has been together. We get through the hard times by doing amazing things, like camp in the Red Wood Forest, ride the ferry to Alaska, and the next trip we plan to stop in Yellowstone National Park. Our traveling has taken us all over the country. We have been everywhere from New York and Delaware, to Nevada and Alaska. Before I was born, my parents got stationed in a couple of places overseas. They went to England, walked through castles and went to Euro Disney. After England, they moved to Germany where I was born; since then, we have been all over America. I have lived in eight places in the last fifteen years.

Being in so many places has given me the chance to make tons of friends, but I had to leave all of them behind. The only thing that has been consistent in my life is my family by my side always. They support my love of soccer, yet they were behind me when I decided to take a year off and play basketball. They pick on me for freaking out when I get a B in school, but they love me for it. My family is proud of all that I have achieved, and the lessons I have learned. All the experiences in my life have taught me that family is always going to have your back, no matter what happens. Family is the most important thing to have. I believe in family, and the love, and support, and journeys that come with it.