Taking risks and making decisions

Cody - Orchard Park, New York

I believe that making decisions and taking risks are good self confidence builders. Some people are afraid to take risks. They want to sit back and watch their lives go by. Where me, in the other hand, I want to take risks because I want to open the doors in my life to see what I am capable of doing with my life.

Taking risks for me is like driving my snowmobile. One time when I was riding my snowmobile, I was with my friend Travis and he wanted me to cross a small lake. At first I wanted to, and then I didn’t want to do it. But I did it because I wanted to see what would happen and how it felt. I thought when I first hit the ice, which I thought that was going to break. I was scared at first but after I was half way across it was fun. It was a good experience and if he asked me to do it again, I would do it. That’s only because I took a risk to try it.

My first sled was a real good experience for me. When I bought my sled I thought that I was the greatest person on the trail, until I got out there. The rush of adrenaline was crazy. When I went around sharp turns fast and feel like I am going to slide off the seat. It was a cool thing to see wildlife twenty feet from the seat of my snowmobile. That was like when I made a decision to ask a very nice girl out who I thought I wouldn’t have a chance with. Then she said no but then later on we went out. But that’s what happens when you make a decision and take risks. That had a major adrenaline rush. Taking risks is like an adrenaline rush because your pumped and you just want to try anything because you just want to do it.

My friend Adam owns land near my house which has a motocross track that he made for himself and his friends. The track has a lot of jumps on it. He asked me to “hit” one of the jumps. And I was a little ify at first. But just like when I crossed the lake, I did it. I fell the first jump but I got back up and kept going. Then I landed his set of doubles he had. When I take risks it doesn’t mean I am going to do it 100%. I might not accomplish what you want but that’s why they call it risk taking, but I know I tried and failed, I can try again until I get it right. Like when I was riding my bike and my friend told me to ride down the hill that was big. I did and was a scary experience.

Those are the three experiences on how taking risks are a self convidence builder for me. It is an experience for everyone to try because it is fun and it also helps me get over my fears. I don’t want my fears to hold me back in life so that is why I take risks.