Soccer Leads the Way!

Tim - Temecula, California
Themes: community, sports

Soccer Leads the Way!

Today, nothing else matters except a simple game called soccer. Westmont! Westmont! Westmont! The chant of the crowd drowns out all other sounds. All of the sudden, we scored! We scored! The crowds are cheering; the player that scores is running over to hug the coach, who had just lost everything. Many people are in shock but I am not, I knew our ability and believed. The crowd’s support pushed many of us on after many had lost everything! Five minutes later ……we score again! Each minute seems like an eternity. Each second we watch as we boot the ball down the field, bunkering in, and holding on for dear life. Five, four, three, two, one! The final whistle blows at last! The crowds of Westmont College students storm the field. The team is running towards teammates jumping in joy, embracing each other. The coach is in tears. The whole college is in joy, tears are flowing, and the president is hugging everyone in sight. Family and friends are shouting and jumping in celebration. All of the sudden a crowd forms a tunnel, a tunnel of people, sixty yards long. My teammates and I are running through this tunnel, getting slapped on the back and congratulated. Nothing can take away one of these vivid memories created during our run into the final eight of the nation. We were supported by not just a college, but by a community of students, professors, and alumnus of Westmont. Support is what we long for as athletes, a group of followers that will chant, scream, and be there always. We had the community of Westmont, Santa Barbara, and much of California behind us, supporting “the team that had lost everything.”

I believe that community is very important in any society; it is no different in college either. However, community within a college is one of the main reasons, which makes a college experience so special. However, when a college community is disrupted by a disaster such as a shooting, fire, or other natural disaster; then the true character of the community within the college creep through. Westmont College underwent one of these characters revealing times as the Tea Fire in Santa Barbara burned fifteen percent of the campus. About 60 students lost everything they owned. Students were not the only ones that suffered, almost 20 faculty houses burned. Yet throughout this hardship, Westmont College, professors and students alike, bonded together to support a soccer team, who were a distraction from the troubles, a way to escape all of the pain and sadness. I could not believe how many college students came to the GSAC championship game just a mere three days after the fire. Many travelled four or five hours in order to attend the game. One alumnus even flew in from Florida with his family to support not only the soccer team but also the college and those that had lost so much! Westmont, in itself, is the definition of community.