Going

Rachel - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

For me, walking out of a dance class and knowing that I didn’t do every, little thing I could have to better myself as a dancer is probably one of the worst feelings I’ve experienced. So many people have felt this feeling, whether it is from a dance class, an academic class, or even through having a job. It’s that disappointment in yourself that resides in the back of your mind and eats away at you, a disappointment on which some people choose to recognize and grow on or some just choose to ignore.

I’ve been a dancer for fourteen years now, and I’ve grown to love it more and more every year I continue. There have been years of my “awkward” stages in life, years of distraction when I decided to also take on playing soccer, and years of deciding if dance was something I really wanted to do. But last year was the first year a feeling of true accomplishment came out of all this time I had contributed to dance. I made the competition team at my studio and quickly learned that I would have to work as hard as I could to get on the same level as my teammates that had been competing for an upwards of ten years. I found much determination in myself, and the sting of disappointment when I didn’t do my absolute best seemed to radiate through me more often and reveal the flaws I still had in my dancing. Watching these amazing dancers motivated me to strive to make myself the best I could be.

“Anything done half-heartedly isn’t even worth doing” is the motto of one of my teammates and something I think about every time I’m in a dance class or even at school. Everything in life should be done with your whole heart and nothing less. Not putting your “everything” into what you are doing is just hurting yourself and hinders the growth you could acquire from accomplishing the task to your fullest potential. At the end of the day, I want to feel like I’ve achieved something and that it has made a difference in my life. A sense of respect from others who recognize that your whole heart is in something is something I also want to obtain. This can only be found through a whole-hearted outlook on life, everyday, in everything you do.