Kelsey - Murfreesboro, Tennessee

As I lay on the wet grass wrapped in my hardly-warm blanket and surrounded by the beautiful mountains of Jasper, Georgia, I could hardly see the black of the sky for it was filled so beautifully with a majestic amount of awe-inspiring stars that was sure to surpass any imagination. It was almost as if I was in some other world for a moment that was larger than life, and yet, it was so REAL.

But aren’t those same exact, beautiful stars in the sky above Murfreesboro? They are obviously still up there somewhere, but why are they hiding? It seems as if the society we live in has hidden and replaced these magnificent stars with other “lights.” With each street light, advertisement, computer, cell phone, and T.V. we bring to this city, we “erase” the stars in the sky one by one. No matter how useful these things may be, I believe in staying in touch with REALITY and not getting caught up in the artificial “lights” society has to offer. Not only do we lose sight of the physical beauty the stars illustrate, these “other lights” can make us lose sight of REAL life as well.

I know for a fact that many people, including myself, spend much time in front of the computer screen allowing things such as facebook and videogames to consume their time. I believe this time would be better spent building relationships with REAL people, not just their webpage. Along with real people, we must develop REAL conversation. Text messaging can be used as a vice for confrontation or other things that people could not say in person. This lack of connection is not genuine and can bring down any relationship.

As well as the stars, the simplicity of rain is a beauty in itself. One of my favorite things to do is fall asleep while listening to the rain pouring down outside my window. Just the other day, I was attempting to do this, but the sound of the rain was drowned out by my mother’s everlasting use of the television. And how many times have I heard, “Wait until a commercial” from my parents. We are living in a world that lives off of unhealthy things that need to be used only sparingly. How can one put a television, or a cell phone, or a computer above a REAL person?

With this sense of REALITY comes satisfaction in life by being relieved from distractions. Life can truly be lived to its full potential by seizing every moment that is so gracefully given to us. By making an effort to have a positive mindset, constantly living with thanksgiving, and paying attention to the natural world and relationships around us, we will not be in an eternal search for the next, big thing to create happiness in our lives, but a state of genuine and REAL satisfaction can truly be achieved once and for all.