A Life I Should Live

Sierra - Santee, California

Tell me: what good do we do ourselves by stressing every trivial detail? Personally, I can say that no good comes out of it. At 15 years old I began to stress school work, home life, friends, and things I just needed to get done. All of these things distracted me and I became stressed with everything mixed together. Once I got one thing off my mind, something would jump right on in its spot and it almost felt like bullets hitting me at every angle. Instead of doing what I wanted to do and what would make me happy, I would let others’ problems get me worked up and stressed.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.”

-Marianne Williamson

I was first introduced to this quote by my AVID teacher. At first my thoughts were that, “Well of course I’m not powerful beyond measure. After all I’m not superman.”

When I went home that day, I couldn’t stop thinking about this quote; so I researched it and read a little more about what Williamson was trying to get across. I came to realize that she did not mean that we are all superman with amazing powers, but that we as people know that we have the potential to accomplish anything, yet we sit back and live our daily lives without living to those full potentials. This quote opened my eyes to how I was living my life, and I decided to create a change.

Ever since that day I had my realization I haven’t done everything in my power to make others happy and ignoring myself. I have done everything in my power to live a life where I can achieve my full potential by doing things I wouldn’t do in my past stressful life. I have gone on adventures with my friends, I am no longer worried what others will think when I do something to satisfy myself with success, and I have become more organized in sorting my problems with those of others. I thank Marianne Williamson for opening my eyes to a life that I should live, not a life that others live for me.