Kiwis: my little hair brown saviors.

Mary - Santa Barbara, California
Themes: nature, pleasure

This I believe… kiwis are the greatest fruit to ever grace the earth. Their understated appearance fails to suggest their life-changing power. But as the popular admonition goes, ‘Don’t judge a book by its cover.’ I, for one, am forever indebted to the person who first picked up one of these unappetizing hairy little brown round creations and ate of it. I realize, now, that those 19 years were merely the prologue to my kiwi-filled years to come.

Now I will tell you about my first time eating a kiwi and the context of this event. It was after my school, Westmont College in Santa Barbara, California caught on fire. Being a freshman from Florida, the break that resulted from this fire was my first time returning home. My trip home was trying, and upon returning to school I found most of my possessions had been ruined in the fire. It was not a happy time. At least, that is, until my friend Jamie took it upon herself to introduce me to a whole new world. Seeing my downtrodden persona, I suppose she could tell nothing short of a tiny miracle would cheer me up. So that is exactly what she provided. After my first bite of kiwi it is as though I was truly seeing for the first time. I rapidly devoured the rest of the little gem, then sat and contemplated how empty my life had been before this moment. Since this new door was opened up to me, there has been a skip in my step and a smile on my face.

Kiwis are proof that good things can come in odd packages. Sealed in a fuzzy, brown skin, the inside of a kiwi is lime green with little, edible, black seeds in the center. It would not be my first design choice for something so scrumptious, but with such a taste the fruit does not stay in tact long enough for it to be of too great a concern. Their rather unattractive physique is illustrated by Erma Bombeck who said, “Someone once threw me a small, brown, hairy kiwi fruit, and I threw a wastebasket over it until it was dead.”

Now, for those of you who have yet to try a kiwi, I urge you to find your nearest supermarket with a produce section and fill the kiwi-sized void in your life. As you make your way there, I will give you a brief synopsis of this fruit. Kiwis have a relatively soft texture and a tangy, sweet, incredible taste. They are a fantastic source of nutrients, particularly vitamin C and potassium. Another testament to the greatness of kiwis is that they are the ‘national fruit’ of the People’s Republic of China. With the People’s Republic of China making up about one fifth of the world’s population, this is no small feat. For all these reasons, I believe kiwis are undoubtedly the greatest fruit known to man.