Happily Handicapped

Sarah - Edgerton, Ohio

I believe that society underestimates what handicapped people can do. I strongly believe that just people think just because they are not “normal” then they are less than those that are. I’ve saw this first hand because my father and that side of my whole family is deaf. I see how people try to talk to him and they just act like he is dumb or doesn’t understand what they are saying just because he cant hear or speak that well. He does understand what people are telling him and when they treat him like he’s stupid is just ridiculous. I dont think this just applies to my dad, I know this applies to everyone with any handicap. Whether its deafness, blindness, they are in a wheelchair, or mentally retarded. They are still all human beings and should get treated just as everyone else. I would love for society to accept everyone that has a handicap and treat them equally. I understand that they do have a disability in one way or another, but that does not mean they can’t accomplish the same things everyone else can. They might have to do it in a different way or it might slightly differ, but they can and they will do it. You always hear people cracking jokes about people that have a have a disability and personally it makes me sick. I do not find them very funny and more times than not I say something to the person that made the joke. I think they are very rude and for a person to say that they must have low self esteem. Those jokes aren’t funny at all. I really hope that someday all handicap people feel normal, just like everyone else and get treated just as equal.