Ashlie - Orchard Park, New York

Every line in my drawings is like an event in my life. Sometimes the lines are smooth and calm and sometimes they are dramatic and sharp. I believe drawing is like life itself; I can make it as vibrant or as peaceful as I like. I have the power to shape my own destiny like the shapes in my drawings. Through creativity, I can express who I am.

I first started drawing when I was probably four or five years old. My sister and I were in our bedroom coloring in some coloring books. I looked up at her and said, “Caitie, I’m going to be an artist someday.” Now, sixteen years later I am a self-working artist, drawing stuff for people left and right. Some of the things I draw are people, dogs, cats, birds, and the one I love the most, horses. When I bring my drawings to school some people think I trace them from the originals, or that somebody else drew them. But when I show them that I actually drew the picture, they ask me to draw things for them as well. Sometimes, it even amazes me when I finish a drawing and see how good it is. Just looking back at some of my drawings from the past and looking at the stuff I am drawing today, helps me to see that I am getting better as I get older.

When my family and I were getting ready for my sister’s graduation party, I drew a self portrait of one of my sister’s best friends and was going to give it to her on the day of the graduation party as a surprise. My dad and I went down to Kinkos to make a copy of the picture. The lady that worked there took my photo to the copier and said, “Wow, did you draw this?” I said yes. Then she asked me if I would draw her niece for her. I said sure. She said she would give me twenty dollars for it. This surprised me, because it was the first time anyone actually offered me money to draw! I was not sure if I was good enough to make money drawing, but when I gave the picture I drew to my sister’s friend, she cried and told me she loved it. Drawing is very time consuming, it usually takes me a day to do a drawing; to get the best results it can take a week or two. But the time is well spent when you see the finished product.

Drawing has always been a passion of mine. It calms me and helps me to relax. I listen to music, draw, and all of my trouble just melt away. Just drawing and then filling it in with color makes it all worth while. Sometimes I get an idea in my head, and when I put it down on paper it doesn’t turn out the way I wanted it to, but every piece still holds a special place in my heart. Good or bad, I love them all.