Laughter Is The Key To Living

Travis - Fort Worth, Texas

I believe that life is too short to take it too seriously. We live in a world where political correctness and the constant demand to succeed is so great that we as a people cannot afford not to laugh every once in a while. The famous comedian Bill Cosby once said, “Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.”

I know that if I did not have a sense of humor, I would have lost my mind a long time ago. Anyone who knows me has come to realize that I tend to concern myself with heavy topics that are not in my power to change. This becomes a big problem for me because I hate not being in control of things that affect my life. If I did nothing to get my mind off of my present situation, I would be in a sad state of affairs. Humor has become my way to escape any problem that I am faced with. Whenever I am faced with a situation that makes me uncomfortable I just start making jokes and it helps me get through anything.

Laughter is a natural human reaction but it seems as if somewhere down the road, it became unacceptable to laugh at something that is funny. Some people today refuse to laugh at jokes that might offend others. To those people I say that you will most likely offend someone no matter what comes out of your mouth, so why not make it something that makes at least some people happy.

Some people in my life have told me that there is an appropriate time and place for laughter. When I am told this, it usually means that I should not laugh in times of morning or at places like funerals or hospitals. To those people I say that a somber time is the time when we should be laughing the most. Humor is not to be used only when times are good. Life is hard and humor is one of the most effective ways to get through it, that is the whole purpose of satire.

Humor can give light to even the darkest times we will face. My particular brand of humor is sarcasm, but I fully support whatever type makes you feel good. I believe that anytime is a good time to laugh so in that spirit I leave you with a quote from the late George Carlin, “Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?”