It’s Not Religion, It’s A Relationship

Carley - Rocklin, California

I believe in God. Throughout all the ups and downs in my life, all of the happy moments and the sad ones and the times in-between; I believe that God exists. I believe that He created everyone and everything. I believe He has a plan for each of us. I believe that God is bigger than anything my mind could ever comprehend.

I didn’t always believe this though. I didn’t grow up in a Christian home and I never went to church. Even when I was little, I had thought of God as this big balloon man in the sky, like you see in parades. I never gave Him a second thought.

I went through a time where I was so sure that there was no God. Looking back, I see that it was only ignorance and immaturity. I made myself a proclaimed atheist and made a point to let everyone know what I believed. It’s not that I was rebelling against something I had heard about God. I didn’t know anything about any gods, and I didn’t want to. I couldn’t believe in something that would permit murder and famine in the world. I felt empty. I had nothing to live for.

Nothing could make me happy. No temporary high could satisfy me. No relationship I had stood strong. Nothing in my beliefs left me strong or pleased. I lost all of my friends, had a terrible relationship with my family, and lost any motivation I had towards school. Everything was slowly falling around me, and I wanted out.

I finally decided that my ignorant ways were enough. I was sick of living a hateful life, with no purpose. It was no coincidence that, on a whim, I decided to go to a Christian summer camp for a week with a few acquaintances. I told myself I would open my mind to what they would tell me, it was the least I could do. I wanted to find anyway to be truly happy.

It was then, for the first time in my life, that I was given the opportunity to learn the truth about God. It was then that I surrendered myself and my old ways, to feel all that God has in store for me. I finally saw all the beauty and happiness and mercy He had for me. I learned that there will always be storms, but God is big enough to get you through them. My life has been changed since I met who God really is. I felt such relief knowing that I had been forgiven for denying Him.

For me, believing in God is more than following rules and being a good person. It’s a personal relationship with Him, to grow deeper in love with Him each day. It’s knowing that there is always going to be good and evil, but learning to accept those things that I cannot change. Believing in God is knowing that everything happens for a reason. For all the time, God is good; and God is good, all the time.

That is why I believe in God.