What it is to value a life…

Krista - Rocklin, California
Themes: humanism

I believe that it is a gross unforgivable atrocity that someone could put a value on another human beings life; this is I truly believe. Life is valued in our society by how much we earn or how much we contribute to the society in which we live regardless of what our lives mean to the people who love and care about us, to the government we are nothing more then just another statistic on a long chart earning more monetary value as we further ourselves in life. This is shown very well by the fact that after 9/11 when out loved ones, the people who we had know for countless years as our mothers, fathers, grandparents, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, and friends had passed away due to the atrocities committed that day; the government found the gall to give us money for our losses, giving our loved family members that we missed dearly a monetary value instead of giving them the honor and respect they so rightfully deserved as people who died for this nation under god so that we could live on. The sheer fact that the government or anyone for that matter could do this is flooring and it shows just how much we as a race value the aspect, mortality, and reality of life itself. The only things that we can remember each other by is how much we leave behind after we’re six feet under, we leave no lasting impression, nothing but cold hard cash for our loved ones. In the eyes of the government we are a nexus to create more revenue and a bulletin board that they can stick a cash value to. Without going any further though I am going to just say that in my honest opinion I think that it is sick, it is morally sick and deranged that you could put a price tag on someone’s life, the only thing that I want to do when someone who I’ve known dies is them to be back, to tell them how much I care for and love them, I could care less about how much they leave me or how much that they’re worth, just how much they meant to me and how much not having them still in my life makes me sad and how much it leaves a gaping whole where their lives have been ripped out of my own.