Be Honest, Take Risks

Alicia - Rocklin, California
Themes: integrity, love

I have found that being honest is the best technique I can use. Right up front, tell people what you’re trying to accomplish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice to accomplish it. This, I believe. Being honest is probably the easiest way to deal with situations, but there can be consequences. I have had my moments of being honest, and not getting good results from it.

Once, I told someone, who I thought was cute, that I liked him. After that, he never talked to me again. He wasn’t a close friend, so I didn’t lose someone important. I barely talked to him, and I didn’t hang out with him. I guess it was just an infatuation that wasn’t worth telling. So, I found out later that his friends were telling him things that weren’t true about me, and he agreed with them. He definitely wasn’t worth making it more than it was.

The one true moment of being honest with someone, was my favorite of all. The moment my boyfriend asked me out, and told me he liked me all this time. It took him almost 2 years to ask me out, but that risk he took, was worth it. I’m glad he did.

Later, it grew to such a strong connection, that we told each other that we loved each other. The moment he told me his true feelings, it lit up my whole world. He made me so happy, it was ridiculous. I’m so glad I got that love in return. One day, the biggest surprise of my life, was the day he asked me to marry him. He was being so straight forward and honest, and with the feelings we had for each other, I said the most honest response, and that was “yes”. Of course, being only 16, I wasn’t going to get married right then, but we did want to wait until I was around my 20’s.

Before he asked me to marry him, we were always talking about having a family together. I knew he was serious and telling me the truth. So, I knew if he ever asked me to marry him that I would say yes. The strong connection, amazing feelings for him, and the thought of being with him the rest of my life, made it worth saying yes.

I have told people the truth all my life; I have been straightforward all the time. Good or bad, it’s worth being honest; there’s no guilt from honesty, and lying just puts a weight on your shoulders. I have found that being honest is the best technique I can use. Right up front, tell people what you’re trying to accomplish, and what you’re willing to sacrifice to accomplish it. This, I believe.