The Value of the Here and Now

Leandra - Rocklin, California
Themes: carpe diem

Tomorrow. Later. When the time is right. When I feel like it. These are all common phrases heard around us. But what about right now? Today? While many of us look into the future for the solutions for our problems, or even the past, I believe that we should live in the here and now.

Opportunities, if not taken advantage of right away, will pass you by; and most of the time, they don’t come back. I used to frequently find myself in this situation: a big idea, planned perfectly, but no motivation to get it done. Well, maybe motivation wasn’t the problem; fear could be a big factor. Fear of failure, fear of repeating past mistakes, and the fear of what would result from it. I used to look into the past, wondering why things changed, and why things aren’t the same anymore. I wasn’t the only one though; for isn’t that one of the main goals in life, is to find some niche where everything is safe, unchanging and secure? Of course it is, with only one problem: impossibility. On the other hand, to look into the future isn’t too productive, either; who knows what will happen between now and a day, month, or year from now? Nobody. I mean planning for he future is important, but you have to see that before the future is the present, and soon the present will be the past; it will never come back.. So, the main point to see in all of this is that if we live in the here and now, then nothing can be taken away from us.

Many things have changed in my life in the past few years; people that I thought would always be there for me, well, aren’t. I’m three months away from adulthood, I just got hired for my first job, and my last semester of high school is approaching. So I guess you could say that I have a lot of things I could be worrying about; but I’m not. My future, while important, doesn’t completely control the way that I look at the present; neither does my past. I’m learning from all of these changes that nothing should be taken for granted; that it could be all taken away in a second. I know that when high school is over, I’ll miss it, but that’s OK. If I sit here and fret about the future, then I won’t have any chance to enjoy the present; and if I worry that I won’t be able to go to save enough money for college to go this fall, then I won’t have enough time to save any money. And this is how I used to live; how many people still do live. All I’m trying to say with all of this is that we should savor the here and now, and leave the future for just that: the future. And this, I believe.