Austin - Rocklin,, California

NGFL. This simple acronym I know well. It seems to be my life story. All my life I have been kind I have been the one you can come to when your burdens are too many. For as long as I can remember I’ve been the one to come to when your friends have turned you away its my job to do this, it was my role in life to be the nice guy. The first part of NGFL. I guess I could say it was my nature to do this. I realized this at a young age how I would not judge one as harsh as others. I would take in account why they were they way they were and who they hung out with. I can’t tell you exactly why I did this it seemed to be my programming. Imbedded in my DNA. Nice Guys Finish Last every time all the time, this I believe, anything else is just luck and coincidence.

The reason I believe this is because of events that took place my sophomore year in high school. I had a best friend. Justin. Now Justin and I were somewhat opposites. I was the more cautious of the two while Justin was the risk taker I was the planner, the thinker. Justin would normally get himself into a situation and I would pull him back out. This was our relationship and for a while it worked out. Then Justin found his first love. Manny. Now Manny and Justin was the perfect High school couple. Jock and Cheerleader. One kid would soon change Justin forever and send him on a downward spiral. He was in fact for all intents and purposes my exact opposite. His name is Brandon. Brandon brought Justin into the world of sleazy girls, sex, drugs, alcohol, and reckless behavior. Vandalism, trespassing, you name they did it. Justin even started treated Manny like dirt. And for awhile I envied them. They broke the rules they could and when they couldn’t they would make their own. They were living life unabated.

How could I do everything right and not win like he did? How could be the one how treats the girl right, with respect with dignity and not get her. How come I was finishing last? I couldn’t figure it out. Sure he had gotten tickets from the police, sure he got busted now and then but I know that if he had one ounce of my cunning he would have gotten away with it all. And that’s a part that rubs the salt in the wound. For awhile know all I wanted is to have a clear and cut victory. To have that first true love, to have the car, the grades, the sport, but I won’t because I can’t. That’s the way my life is that’s they way it seems to go for me.