The Power of Love

Alexander - Rocklin, California
Themes: family, love

I believe in the value of love and how it can help children become what they are capable of. I’m a Senior at Whitney High School, in Rocklin California. This is a beautiful new campus in a rich area of town. The School is predominately White and most people are “normal”. Kids get good grades, don’t miss school, and stay mostly out of trouble. But this isn’t the case every where. Why is that?

This isn’t the case because all children aren’t brought up the same so they don’t end up the same. When I was a child I grew up very sheltered. I grew up in a small farm town, in Iowa, with a population of about 2000. I was always shown love and my parents took time out of their days just to visit me and to make me happy. I was read to every night and we can just say I had a good childhood.

Like I said before this isn’t the case everywhere. When I moved out to California, when I was 10, I was put in a Private Christian School. This school was low funded and In need of repair. I went from never seeing any one of a different race, to being a minority. And don’t get me wrong I was happy to make all new friends but they led completely different lives than me.

When I grew up in Iowa I had never done any thing wrong. But, at my new school, the kids were smoking in the bathroom, getting in fights, and yelling at the teachers. What brings upon this change? What makes these children so different from me?

This factor is the love and attention they were shown as a child. These kids never had any parental supervision over them when they were younger. They had learned that they could do what ever they want, whenever they wanted. This lack of supervision actually inhibits them more than it helps them. What theses kids view as freedom will actually damage them later in life. Because the trouble that they get in as children will effect them when they grow up. Most of theses kids will end up in prison or dead.

I just believe that parents just showing a little bit of love will affect their children in tremendous ways. It will help them excel in life and become what they dream of being. With just a little bit of help and love children can do any thing. And this is what I believe.